Thursday, May 11, 2017

The Struggles of Potty Training.

As a parent you are getting constant advice on certain things for your children, weather it be wanted or not. I can say I have been there and it still happens from time to time. The one piece of information that is thrown my way is the age a child should be potty trained. Now I know everyone is different and have their different ways to go about things, but telling me my autistic children should already be potty trained by now....please don't. We are working on it.

With that being said lets get into the funny side of this. I came across a bunch of other mom blogs that explain their troubles through this little journey and to be honest some of them are down right hilarious. I can understand maybe at the time that wasn't, but take a breath momma. You're trying your hardest. Same with me. Yes Scott and Gracie are older than the ideal potty training age and I get weird looks when I mention they're not fully potty trained. But you have to realize how its a struggle when one child will only go #1 and the other will only go #2 in the potty. Its odd I know.

Sometimes its frustrating and other times its funny because you wonder how is it that this has become one of the hardest lessons to teach a child. I now understand how frustrating it was for my parents with me, I couldn't tie my shoes until I was 7. I know different things but in ways its similar because you're trying to teach your child something and it seems to go on forever. I'm over all thankful that they are at least attempting to try regardless.

Lets rewind for a bit back to when Scott was about 18 months old. The day he turned 18 months old everyone tried to hound me about potty training him. Telling me "oh you need to start now or it'll never happen." or things like, "My son was potty trained at 9 months old."

Um excuse me, but how?? How did people expect me to potty train my son when he wasn't even walking yet? Also, what about that whole saying "Start potty training when you see them become interested in it or when they stay dry for longer periods of time." Well the thing with that is both of my kids were never interested in the potty. I mean they'd follow me in the bathroom whenever I had to go, but that's about it. The did show signs of being able to hold their bladders longer and when we would attempt to sit them on the toilet.....instant tears.

This went on for a while with Scott, eventually we figured out why he was so against going. He simply just didn't want to sit down. All the advice in the world had told me to start him sitting down, he'll eventually get it. Wrong. This little boy wanted to be a big boy. When we figured this out, it made bathroom trips so much easier. once we got that down it was time to tackle #2.....we're not there yet at all. Not by a long shot. If he has to do that he'll go hide until he done and you're stuck wondering "oh god what is that smell?!?"

Now for me this is the confusing part of my two...Gracie will handle her #2 business like a champ. But that's only after bath time for some reason. I don't know how to even explain that one. If I  were to sit her on the potty to try to handle the simpler of the two things, instant tears. Its confusing to the point of being funny. I keep asking how is this so bad kiddo? Maybe they think, "MOM!!!  you just don't get it!" I don't know. Its funny to think about it that way though.

I wonder if any other moms have this struggle? If you've got funny potty training stories or advice shoot them down in the comments. I would love to see what stories you have. until next time guys! See you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment